Friday, July 17, 2009

Dare I say it.... aka "What the heck?"

I spend quite some time surfing the bowels of the interwebs. It is not uncommon to find me dredging up the bottom the the vast webspace. What is interesting is that after you spend some time doing what I do on a regular basis you become pretty jaded to crazy things. "BBQ fork stuck in dogs head for three days! Pic after the jump!" and so on. Things just don't shock me like they used to.

And then I came across Evangel Cathedral. Now I enjoy looking at church websites, because most of them are absolutely horrible. They shock the unshokable....but I digress. For the purpose of this post let us have the website speak for itself....

www.evangelcathedral.net

Did you watch the intro? Yes? Ok, good.

Did you hear the Minister of Shredding unload his handy work as he melted your face? Good.

I hope you payed close attention, because only so often do you hit a gold mine of "What the heck was that?" I have seen some pretty sick and crazy stuff on the internet. But for some reason, this just takes the cake.

So here is my question, "What the heck?"

I don't understand the purpose, I don't understand the flash, I don't understand the grand scale, I don't understand the spectacle, I don't understand why a church has a "First Lady," I don't understand the church unfolding like Optimums Prime. This seems to be a grand showcase of everything that is wrong with the church today. Let us focus on everything but God. I guess that Evangel Cathedral means a lot to a lot of people, and I guess good things are going on there. But why?

I am jaded the the zany nature of the interweb, why does this church stuff bother me so? What is it about this church that makes my stomach churn, but a story about a girl getting 53 star tattoos on her face while she napped (that story gets better...but again... I digress)...I don't even bat an eye

On their web site it says that "We are to be a trailblazer in the Body of Christ in the areas of Worship, Fine Arts, Music and Special Events." If this is so true, why do I find my self fleeing in the other direction?

Here is the equation,

crazy internet hi jinx and grossness = meh,

church website = bewilderd semi-anger.

oh well.

0 comments: