Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Picking the Best

A few posts back we wrote on why the process for picking good songs for worship is important.
The next question is, "well, how do you go about picking good songs, and what is a good song anyway?"

A good friend of mine took some time to put together a sound criteria for what makes a good song for worship. The first thing to think about when looking at a song is that songs for worship need to be functional art. when I pick out a couch or a chair, I want it to be completely useful and be able to fulfill the purpose of me sitting on it every day, but it also needs to have some aesthetic value. I want it to look nice. I could just use a log to sit on that I pulled out of a forest, and in a way that might have its own artistic value, but it does not serve the intended purpose. The same goes with songs for worship. They need to be functional/culturally relevant/situationally applicable as well as aesthetically valuable and relevant to the body that it is serving. They have a dual purpose - education and edification. And yes... we could talk long hours and go way more in depth with this...but maybe later. .

So, with all of that said.. here is the list - now this list isn't set in stone, nor are they rigid rules. Rather they are points to seriously take in to account when looking at using a new song or reviewing a song that you already use. None of these points are end-alls for a song, but if you find your self wondering "mmm...well..." all to often after reviewing a song be confident in following the axiom: "when in doubt, throw it out."

3 comments:

worshipface said...

I agree, and that list is great.
Some things i have noticed and would add are:
-Does the song have a real message and not just Christian catch phrases?
-Does it enhance the message of the service, or retract from it?
-Does it bring a new tone or sound? Or sound like the same old song you have heard 100 times?
God's people are so diverse, so should be his praises!

good stuff

Gluten Free Jesus Freak said...

Why did I not know you have a cool blog? Well, now I know. :)

Miss you, cousin of mine!

D&B said...

Archie, I love your point on the use of Christian catch phrases. I am using this list as an outline for my class project and most of the songs I have gone through are very shallow buzz words and phrases. I am shocked by the weak content of these songs.